April 23, 2018
Computing (hardware and software) resources for school students
This is a collection of resources for school students and their teachers for learning programming and hardware design. Hopefully it’ll answer the “I’m curious, but I don’t know what to do next!” question :-)
- Scratch - Build games right from your web browser using scratch!
- Alice - An object orientated programming language designed for teaching programming. Make 3D games using it.
- Python - A beginner friendly, but very widely used programming language. Learn the language that Googlers use. There are lots of tutorials available (links coming soon!)
- Swift Playground - Learn Apple’s new programming language Swift in a fun environment. Suitable for ages 10+.
- In browser python - Write python code from your browser
Workshops and Courses
- Girls Programming Network - Teaching 8-18 year old girls to program for free! Available in Sydney, Canberra & Perth.
- The Hour of Code - Fun exercises for school aged students to get started on programming
- National Computer Science Summer School - A summer camp for learning to code, run at Sydney Uni. For students entering year 11 or 12.
- NCSS Challenge - Graded (and fun!) exercises which you can do over a few weeks to learn to program in Python. Ages 8+.
- Next Gen Code Camp
- RunSTEM Robotics and programming courses for students Yr 2+
- TinkerTank Maker space for kids & young people in Manly
- Code 4 Fun
- Code Camp Build apps in the school holidays
- Squishy Circuits - Learn about circuits using play dough! Great for younger children.
- AdaFruit Industries - Lots of kits and electronics projects, local distributers.
- Raspberry Pi Projects - Just one example, there’s heaps, just google for raspberry pi projects
- Arduino project ideas (google for some!)
- Lego Mindstorms - Make robots out of lego! Expensive, but your school probably has a set.
Communities and Suppliers
- DIY - DIY is a safe online community for kids to discover new skills, meet friends who are geeks just like them, and be awesome.
- Robots and Dinosaurs Hackerspace - Access lots of great tools, and a community of makers who run the occasional tutorial. In Meadowbank (Sydney).
- Fablabs, Hackerspaces, Makerspaces, Techshops - Search for ones closest to you!
- Sydney Electronics and wearable computing suppliers: Microwear , Altronics
- Computer Science Education Resource Guide - A great collection of resources.
- Adabot videos - Lots of great videos about electronics!
- Computer Science Unplugged - A great way to teach the basics of computer science without using computers.
- My CSUnplugged exercises for Kindergarteners (4-7 year olds)
- Make magazines - Full of great project ideas. Many of them accessible online for free.
Apps for tablets
- Scratch Kids (Android)
- ScratchJr (iOS)
- Kodable - Simple introduction to procedures (suitable for 5+)
- Daisy the Dino - Even simpler introduction to procedures (suitable for preschoolers)