May 8, 2008
For the cake
- 225g unsalted butter, very soft
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Large eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 25g corn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (if using processor method)
- 3-4 tbs milk
2x21cm sandwich tins (about 5cm deep), buttered
For the filling
- 2-4 tablespoons raspberry or other jam, depending on berries
- 1 punnet raspberries of berries of choice
- 125ml double cream
For the topping
- 1-2 tablespoons caster sugar
Preheat the over to 180C/gas mark 4.
Cream butter and sugar
Add Vanilla and then the eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour between each
Fold in rest of flour and cornflour, adding no backing powder, and when it’s all incorporated, add a little milk as you need.
Pour and scrape the batter into the tins and bake for about 25min, until the cakes are begining to come away at the edges, are springy to touch on top and cake-tester comes out clean.
Leave cakes on wire rack for 10min before turning and allowing to cool completely.
Sandwich jam and cream between the two layers of cake before serving.