February 27, 2011
Southern Sweet Potato Loaf
This recipe appeared on my loaf tin! It’s a mild cake/sweet bread. Quite nice with some tea, or for breakfast.
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. grated orange rind
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked, peeled and mashed
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Sift together the baking powder, flour and mace
- Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add salt
- Add eggs, beating after each addition.
- Mix in the orange rind, vanilla, and sweet potato.
- Add the flour mixture gradually, beating until just combined.
- Turn the dough into 22cm x 13cm loaf pan. Bake 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean