January 22, 2011
Serves 2 as a main course
If you boil the eggs for only 5 or 6 minutes, then cool them in cold water to stop them cooking, they should remain nice and soft inside and not develop grey rings.
- 100 g fine green beans
- 100 g wild rocket leaves
- 3 tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 young zucchini, finely sliced
- Handful of small black olives (Ligurian or Nicois)
- 1 tbsp tiny salted capers, rinsed
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 200 g can of tuna in oil, drained
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 4 anchovy fillets, halved lengthwise
- French Salad Dressing
- Top but don’t tail the green beans and cook in simmering salted water for 4 minutes Drain, cool in cold running water, and drain again.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a large bowl, add a spoonful of the oil from the tuna or the anchovies, and add a good dash of water, white wine or (excellent idea) some of the tomato juices, to lighten. Pour half the dressing into a small jug.
- Toss the rocket, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, olives, capers and basil in the dressing and strew lightly over two dinner plates.
- Tuck the tuna and quartered eggs into the salad, curl the anchovy fillets on the eggs, and drizzle the remaining dressing over the top.