June 30, 2012
Red Lentil Daal
This is a super easy dish, and with a pressure cooker it takes less than 30 min from start to finish!
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp whole cummin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp of ground cayenne pepper (or 1/2 tsp hot paprika instead, for a less hot version)
- 2 medium sized onions (I used 1 brown and 1 spanish onion)
- a few cloves of garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt to taste
- Wash the lentils and put them in the pressure cooker with the stock, ginger paste and tumeric
- Pressure cook on high for 20 minutes, and then quick release the pressure
- Meanwhile, dice the onions and garlic, and fry them with the remaining spices until they are browned.
- Once you open the pressure cooker, you can add the onion mix to the daal, and simmer it for about 10 minutes till you achieve your desired consistency. Stir constantly to avoid it sticking to the pan.