August 20, 2015
First time I made this I didn’t have enough pumpkin for double quantities, so I threw in a couple of frozen bananas and a couple of cooked turnips too! Worked well! Recipe from: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/649/pumpkin+loaf?ref=collections,top-10-pumpkin-recipes
- 650g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease base and sides of a 6cm deep, 10.5cm x 20.5cm (base) loaf pan. Line with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends.
- Wash and cut pumpkin into 4cm pieces. With water clinging, place pumpkin in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 3 to 4 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Set aside to cool. Drain and place cooled pumpkin in a food processor. Process until smooth (you should have 1 cup).
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until well combined. Stir in pumpkin.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves over pumpkin mixture. Stir gently to combine. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Lift onto a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.