August 3, 2021
From Jamie Oliver’s cookbook
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 1 x 375g pack of pre-rolled puff pastry
- ground cinnamon
- 125g cre`me fraîche
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 5 tablespoons golden caster sugar
- 1 orange
- Dust a clean surface with flour. Unroll the sheet of pastry, then cut it in half so you end up with two 20x20cm squares fo pastry (put one in thefridge for another day). Sprinkle over a few good pinches of ground cinnamon, then roll the pastry into a swiss roll shape and cut into 6 rounds. Put these into 6 of the holes in a muffin tin, and use your thumbs to stretch and mould the pastry into the holes so the bottom is flat and the pastry comes up tot he top. Put on the top shelf of the oven and cook for around 8-10 min, or until lightly golden.
- Spoon the crème fraîche into a small bowl, add the egg, vanilla paste, 1 tbsp of golden caster sugar, and the zest of one orange.
- Take the muffin tin out of the oven, and use a teaspoon to press the puffed up pastry back to the sides and make room for the filling. Spoon the crème fraîche mixture into the tart cases, and return to the top shelf of the oven. Set the timer for 8 minutes.
- Put a small saucepan on a high heat. Squeeze in the juice from the zested orange, and add 4 tbsps of golden caster sugar. Stir and keep a good eye on it, but remember caramel can burn badly, so don’t touch or taste.
- Pour some caramel over each tart (they’ll still be wobbly, but that’s good). Put aside to set.