August 13, 2011
- 500g lamb, diced into small cubes
- 4 Tbs yellow split peas
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 4 limoo amani (dried limes)
- 1/2 tsp cumin (whole or powdered, doesn’t matter)
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- vegetable oil
- Saffron (brewed in boiling water)
- small amount of lemon or lime juice.
- Boil split peas separately, until cooked. Make sure they don’t go mushy.
- In the meantime, brown the onion, and add meat and brown. Add the turmeric, cumin, pepper, and cinnamon. Add enough water to cover and gently simmer until cooked. Add the Limoo amani towards the end of the cooking process.
- Separately, lightly fry the tomato paste, and add it to the meat.
- Add the split peas to the meat, and simmer together.
- Add salt to taste
- Add a small amount of saffron mixture, and a dash of lemon or lime juice.
- Serve with saffron rice (pollow)