November 19, 2011
Kath’s Big Birthday Cake!
I got this recipe from my wonderful mother in law, Kath. She suggested baking it for Zac’s first birthday party. It was a big success! This recipe makes a chocolate or vanilla cake depending on if you put cocoa or vanilla in it. It is a really big cake, it’ll fill a small roasting dish, or half fill a 30cm radius round tin.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 200g Butter
- 1 tsp of bi-carb soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder OR 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 3 cups SR flour
- 5 large eggs
- Put water, milk, raw sugar, butter, bicarb and cocoa or vanilla into a large saucepan.
- Dissolve, and bring to boil. Once boiling, lower temp and simmer for 5 min.
- Sift flour into a large bowl (this is a BIG cake). Once the wet mixture is cool, mix it in with the dry mixture.
- Add the eggs. Mix with an electric beater for about 5 min, until the batter becomes lighter in colour.
- Put in lined pan and bake for about 45-50 min at 160C fan forced, check that it’s cooked with a skewer, cooking times vary a lot depending on your oven and shape of your tin.