January 11, 2010
Makes 6-8 Kebabs
- 1kg cubed meat lamb, beef or chicken
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 lemons - about 4 tablespoons juice
- ¼ cup verjuice
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 1 tsps dried thyme
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Vegetables for the kebabs
- Onions – cut into quarters
- Capsicums – chopped into chunks
- Cherry tomatoes – used whole
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice and verjuice together then add the herbs crushed garlic and chopped onion and put the mixture into a deep dish. Putting some marinade aside to coat the cooked kebabs if desired. Add the meat cubes to the marinade and mix together well, ensuring the meat is well and evenly covered.
- The meat needs marinating for at least two hours, but it is best if left overnight
- Either metal or wooden skewers can be used, but the wooden ones need soaking for at least half an hour before they are used. This prevents them from burning.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, the remaining marinade may be kept for basting during cooking but it must then be thrown away.
- Make up the kebabs with an alternate piece of meat and vegetable. Making them all up the same makes them look more attractive on the serving dish.
- The kebabs may be baked in the oven, grilled or the best of all barbecued.
- Cook thoroughly and evenly turning them over regularly throughout the cooking time.
- Brush with the reserved marinade that hasn’t been in contact with the raw meat.