January 11, 2010
Ginger Spice Cake
This cake is egg and dairy free. Serves 10.
- 2/3 cup dairy-free spread (butter or margarine also work fine)
- 3/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger, sifted
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice, sifted
- 2 cups icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dairy-free spread, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 22cm fluted ring pan. If you don’t have a ring pan, you can use 2 loaf pans instead.
- Place spread, syrup, sugar and 3/4 cup cold water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until combined. Remove from heat. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Make Glace icing: Place icing sugar in a bowl. Add lemon juice and spread. Stir until smooth. Place cake on a plate. Drizzle with icing. Serve.