June 13, 2008
- 250g softened unsalted butter
- 250g softened marzipan*
- 150g caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond essence
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 150g SR-flour
- 25cm springform tube pan, or patterned ring mould, buttered and floured.
If you can’t find ready made marzipan, you can make it yourself, as follows.
- 120g ground blanched almonds
- 120g powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Mix up all the ingredients, no need to knead them as you will be mixing them in with the rest of the cake anyway.
- Preheat over to 170C/gas mark 3.
- Chop the butter and marzipan to make them easier to break down, and put them in the bowl of the food processor, fitted with a double bladed knife, with the sugar, process until smooth.
- Add almond essence and vanilla extract, blend, and then break the eggs one at a time processing the mixture in between.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Pour into prepared tin, and bake for 50 min, but check from 40.
- Decorate with raspberries and icing sugar.