January 17, 2017
Chocolate Hazelnut Mocha Meringues
Hazelnut Mocha Meringue Cookies are baked with hazelnuts, espresso and dark chocolate. These dreamy cookies are loaded with flavor but taste lighter than air!
YIELD: 32 cookies PREP TIME: 20 minutes COOK TIME: 1 hour, 10 minutes TOTAL TIME: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, whole and toasted
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature (large)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the oven racks in the upper and lower third positions. Preheat oven to 150°C. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor (mini if possible), combine the hazelnuts, chocolate, and espresso powder. Pulse until finely ground. Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and salt on medium speed, until the whites are no longer clear. (Ensure your mixing bowl is perfectly clean and dry, or the whites will not whip properly.) Increase the speed to medium-high and continue to whip, adding the granulated sugar 1 tablespoon at a time as you go. Continue whipping until the whites are firm and hold stiff peaks. They should be very shiny. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- With a large rubber spatula, gently and quickly fold in the powdered sugar mixture, until most streaks are gone, trying to deflate the egg whites as little as possible. Lightly fold in the chocolate-hazelnut mixture, just until combined.
- With a small ice cream scoop, drop the meringues by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, then without opening the oven door, reduce oven temperature to 95 degrees C and continue baking for 1 additional hour. Remove the baking sheets from the oven, then let the meringues stand at room temperature on the baking sheets. Carefully pull off the meringues off of the baking sheet and serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.