Another of my mothers' recipes.
Serves 6-7 people:
- 2 large onions (diced)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 0.5kg lamb or beef mince
- Half a teaspoon each of cinnamon, turmeric, cumin (zireh)
- salt, pepper, chilli powder (to taste)
- 4 large eggplants, peeled and sliced
- one cup green lentils
- 2-3 tablespoons of dried ground mint
- sour cream (or kashk) to taste
Brown onions and garlic in a small amount of oil, add the mince and fry until meat is cooked.
Add the spices and salt and pepper
Fry eggplants in a separate pan
Boil the lentils until cooked
Mix the above items and let it simmer slowly until well done
Fry 2-3 tablespoons of dried mint and add it to the mixture above
Mix in sour cream to taste, about 6-7 dollops
Decorate with additional sour cream and mint on top before serving
Serve with bread.